Sunday, August 13, 2006

Sunday musings

Everyone one knows that it isn't nice to judge others. Despite how we were raised most of us eventually learn that judging others only makes us bitter and cynical; so why do we do it? In the Bible it tells us DO NOT judge and to leave the judgment up to God, but I like to add a clause to this command. It usually takes the form of "I just need to vent..." or "If they weren't so...I wouldn't say this, but..." or "What were they thinking..." or "It's not what I'm used to...". I have been very guilty of this since I moved to Edmonton. Most of my Christian life I have attended Weston and if not at Weston I was at NBBI. Two places that I would say are theologically sound (NBBI is a bit weird but that is a topic for a different post). I have been blessed to have been brought up in such an environment. However, I am no longer in that environment. I am in the Wild, yet conservative, Western province of Alberta. I have had a chip on my spiritual shoulder since I got here. Right from the beginning I have had it in for churches out here. When I started attending Strathcona Baptist I fell in love with the people, they are nice and friendly and people who are interested in what I am interested in. But I have never given the church a chance. I will admit, there are a number of things that I do not agree with. But is it all bad? Is my failure to grow as a Christian out here the churches fault or mine? I really don't know. I don't feel like I get meaty sermons anymore but does that mean there isn't anything I can learn? Has my judgmental attitude been the problem? I was struck today in the sermon by how judgmental I have been lately. Before James and I even made it through the doors I had thrown out a negative comment on how long the worship part of the service was. My attitude only soured more when I found out we were having a guest speaker, a woman. But I was soon captivated by what she was saying. What really stood out to me today was the passion in which this woman spoke. Her voice cracked as she read of God's holiness in Psalm 99. I don't remember the last time I felt like that while reading the Bible. She did not deliver a bland sermon at all, it was one of stable conviction. She spoke about how God is a God of love but He is also a God of justice, one who will punish when necessary. I found and still find myself humbled because my judgmental attitude is worth punishing. By the end of the service I had the verse "All things work together for good to those who love God" (paraphrased by me, I don't have the greatest memory). I may not be 100% satisfied in my church but perhaps God is teaching me how to work for my spiritual growth. And if I am open to His teaching I can still learn things out here. Growth is not always going to be handed to me an a silver platter. James and I are preparing to travel for a number of months, perhaps missing church on a regular basis. I need to start learning how to grow on my own. I need to be thankful for what God has given to me out here, friends who will drop everything to pray for me, an opportunity to teach Sunday School, experiencing new Christians who are SO excited to be saved by grace. I still crave sermons Horton-style but thanks to Charmin's link I can get Pastor Horton 3 times a week (Thank you Charmin). Please pray for me as God teaches me to be motivated to work for what I want and that I will learn to love my neighbor as myself. (Sorry this is so long, I have lots of musings today).

7 comments:

Shannon said...

Please tell me that you know it's wrong for women to be in the pulpit! You are scaring me a bit with this post. :) :( <:)

Kelly said...

Wow, what a great post. I come from a Pentecostal background and personally missed the worship part of the service when I came to Weston..but because of the great teaching we got and the wonderful people we decided this was the church for us.

Kelly said...

I had to go back and reread again. I too am guilty of being judgemental and am constantly asking for forgiveness and help in this area. I so loved the fact that you wrote about learning to grow spiritually on your own as well. That is why God gave us the Bible, to teach us how to be more like him. That is exactly what Gary preached on this morning. How we can live a christian life with His tools- prayer and the Bible. If you get a chance you should listen to his sermon from this morning. Real good.

Shannon said...

Glad to hear it. :) Thanks for clarifying. And Kelly's right. It was a good sermon this morning!

Shannon said...

I just got on here to say "How about Anne's church!?" Don't know why I didn't think of it before. Trevor & Anne are loving their church. Very solid. :)

Susan said...

Christy was sharing with me about your great adventure Sunday and I just wanted to write and tell you how blessed I was in reading your blog. God's Word says that it will not return void, and Sunday, his Word spoke to you through a godly lady. Isn't it wonderful that the Bible isn't just a book, but a living Word. As you and James travel in the months ahead, look at it as a mission field and be a witness when the occasion arises. As you know, we live in the "Bible Belt" and what I found so amazing was when Jimmy and I traveled to the West Coast in 2004, we never saw a gospel preaching church and we never heard the name of Jesus mentioned, and never saw a person bow their head at meal time. You talk about a wakeup call for the two of us. We are so blessed and I never want to take it for granted. My advice is find a place to serve and do it to the glory of God. Ok, enough preaching, sorry. I just wanted you to know that I am excited for you and pray that God will use you beyond measure.

Susan said...

This is for Leanne...I am Nana, Christy's mom. I don't have many blogging friends, so feel free to write anytime. (Thanks Tracy for letting me use your space to make new friends!)