Friday, August 11, 2006

Quick, easy and refreshing summer dessert

Hey Shannon, here is the recipe I was telling you about. It takes less than a half an hour to make from start to table. Best of all you don't have to use the oven, so it's a perfect summer treat. If you are on a diet there is no need to read any further...to is sooooo bad for you. It does have fruit in it so maybe you could justify it even if you are cutting back.

2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 c margarine melted
1/2 c margarine
2 cups confectioners' sugar (I used a bit less and it was still very sweet)
2 eggs
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 bananas (should be firm)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 can crushed pineapple
1 80z tub of Cool Whip

Combine crumbs and melted margarine and press into bottom of 9 by 13 dish.

In medium saucepan combine margarine, sugar, eggs, corn starch and vanilla. On medium heat bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 mins. (If you have hot stove top maybe less, I only had to simmer for about 5 mins) Put in fridge to cool, pour over crust.

Coin bananas and dip in lemon juice to prevent them from going brown, spread them over dessert. Drain pineapple and spread over bananas. Spread cool whip over pineapple. Put in fridge until ready to serve.

Sorry I don't have a picture. It goes great with a cup of hot tea for any of you tea drinkers out there. Enjoy.

5 comments:

Lyndsie Jean said...

What does "coin banannas" mean. You guys and your recipes- you'd think you were married or something :) I'll kill you if you start a tea cup collection. I shouldn't make fun- I am the "single" blogger not that you need me to admit it to tell :) AND I don't have a hope in getting married if all men want someone who can make good food and brew a good cup of tea. I need to find a man who doesn't like to eat (fat chance) - or can cook his own dang food. Do I sound bitter :) EVEN My ROOMATE politely told me last night that the nights that I'm planning on making dinner to give her heads up so she can order take out. Guess she didn't like my honey garlic chiken last night- I don't see why not- what's the big deal about eating chicken that's still cold on the inside?

WOW really long comments... SORRY

Tracing in the Valley said...

Hahah, "coin" just means slice them. Don't worry I don't have a tea cup collection yet...The key to being a good cook is finding a few recipes that are easy and taste really good. Then just make them all the time. It works for me, James thinks I'm a great cook...hehehe...if he only knew.

Lyndsie Jean said...

Nice tip- but I'm thinking Kraft Dinner doesn't count?

Shannon said...

This will be one of the first desserts I will make in our new home. And if you don't make it again soon I will be sure to get a picture. Gotta have pictures of the food! :)

Kelly said...

Sounds good. I think I'm going to try it too. Thanks.