Saturday, July 28, 2007

Africa and culture shock

Hello everyone, sorry that it has been so long since my last post but we haven't had a ton of internet my last entry. We finished up our stay in Thailand which was absolutely wonderful. I can't believe how much I loved Thailand. I would go back in a second and I would recommend to anyone looking for an adventure to go!! It's a bit expensive to fly there but once you are there it is very reasonable and the people are wonderful.

We are now in Africa and I must admit that both James and I are a bit culture shocked for the first time on our trip. Everything is just so different from what we expected...it's taking some time for us to adjust. It is beautiful here and we have a wonderful host family who are showing us the ropes. Felix, Amos and Winnie are wonderful and have been showing us around Nairobi. On Monday we will be heading to the village were Felix and Amos are from...it is part of the Luo tribe in case anyone wants to look them up.

I would ask for prayer for my stomach, it is having some trouble adjusting to the food. And our safety as it can be a little unsafe for "mzungu" (white people) to walk around without a guide. So far we have been with Felix and Amos so we are safe...so no need to worry Mom and Lana. Please also pray for our host family...Felix and Winnie...they are preparing their wedding ceremony celebration and moving into a house so their finances are very tight. Any finally for the Kenyan people, their is a great deal of poverty here, Nairobi is home to one of the larges slums in Africa.

We miss you so much, we are both a bit homesick so any emails you would like to send out way would greatly be appreciated!! Stories from your side would be lovely. Can't wait to see all soon. Our email is churchillswithoutborders@yahoo.ca

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey guys, so first I have a question not a comment. How did you arrange your host families? Especially in Africa?

It sounds like a unique experience of a life time, that I am sure neither of you will forget. Do you know of any financial aids or general aids
(medical clinics, relief aids) that are set up in that area, if at all?